Ixonia

 

Ixonia, 1947

I recently did a search on Ixonia and BlogSpot(I know you are supposed to Google yourself) …maybe just to see if there were also any bloggers(well I try…I am off to a good start for 2012)  from my area….Ixonia.  This is one interesting tidbit I found and thought I would share with you from:

http://lettersinbottles.blogspot.com/2010/08/making-ixonia.html
Making Ixonia

Posted by Brad V at 11:20 AM

"When it was decided to divide the town of Union, there was no argument over calling Town 7, Concord, but there was a great divergence of opinions as to what to call Town 8.  To satisfy all factions, it was agreed to put the letters of the alphabet on slips of paper and have young Mary Piper draw them until a word was formed that could be used as the town name. The result was Ixonia. This is the only town of that name in the United States. It was established as a town in the year 1846."
Via The Romance of Wisconsin Placenames

I had heard this story about the town I live in.  It is a strange name I do admit and I remember driving past the I-94 sign many times before it came to be my hometown…and thinking….weird name…who the hell lives there….where the heck is that…etc.….exactly what you all thought when I chose to build a house out there most likely!   I think it is pretty cool that it is the only town of that name in the entire USA! 

I did find another blog….and from what I can figure out…I think Ixonia is the persons name! 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Stitch Fix. I tried it.

Baby Back Ribs - the super easy way!

Hit the road James, Jenny, Jadyn and Jenna!