Christmas Craft Time

Last night I threw together some salt dough to make ornaments.  I was a bad Mom and did it without the kids because I didn't want to get them involved in cutting out the ornaments but then making them wait 5+ hours to decorate the ornaments.  Figured I would do all the work and they could have all the fun decorating them the next day.

The recipe I used worked great!  It was super easy to work with, I thought it felt like actual sugar cookie dough.

Salt Dough Ornaments

1/2 salt
1/2 water
1 cup flour

Mix all together until comes together like dough, like 5 minutes.  Place on lightly floured surface and using rolling pin, roll out dough to your desired thickness.  Cut with cookie cutters and place on cookie sheet.  I did not use parchment paper and it worked just fine.  Heat oven to 200 and place cookie in oven for 5 hours or until dry.

Some of the ornaments stuck slightly to the pan but I just used a spatula to gently get them off.  I didn't break any.  Also, I started these ornaments at around 7pm, so I let them go in the oven at 200 until I went to bed at 10pm, just shut the oven off and let them sit overnight it the oven.  They were perfect in the morning. (630am...I just cant sleep very late anymore!)


I must have been feeling quite ambitious because I also made the recipe for Cinnamon Applesauce Ornaments.  Now looking online I found lots of different varieties for this recipe.  Some with glue, some without.  I decided to do glue.  They would be stronger.

Cinnamon Applesauce Ornaments

1 cup Applesauce
1 cup Cinnamon
 (the cheap kind....got mine at Aldi's)
1/2 cup glue

Mix all together in mixer. (I had a cinnamon dust storm!) Patiently add more cinnamon if needed until form a nice workable dough, like 1/2 cup more.  Dust surface with cinnamon and roll out with rolling pin.  Cut with cookie cutters and bake at 200 like stated in recipe above. 

Oh yeah,  for both of these recipes, do not eat (I really don't know why you couldn't, but I bet they both won't taste that great)  AND do not forget to make a whole in each ornament if you plan on hanging them from the tree or from gifts.  I used the pointy end of a chop stick. It wasn't too small and I thought I straw would make to big of a hole.


Salt Dough

Jenna's cinnamon whatever they are look like piles of you know what, in my oven!!! Ick!

      My snow flake ornaments all glittered out!

       Decorating the mantel

Cinnamon Stars on the tree

Sorry, there are no pics of the girls decorating their salt ornaments because we have not done them yet!  Too much for one day.  If you are lucky you may get one for Christmas!  Lucky you!

Comments

  1. I hope to make a batch of salt dough to use in making the twins' handprint ornaments for their grandparents!

    I love that you strung the snowflakes on the mantel!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Okay...made the although ornaments last night...and the dough was really hard to work with! my ornaments came out just okay...not nearly as smooth as i would have liked!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Stitch Fix. I tried it.

Baby Back Ribs - the super easy way!

Hit the road James, Jenny, Jadyn and Jenna!