Strawberries!

This past Sunday I ventured out with my girls to Kirschbaum's Strawberry's in Beaver Dam.  I had wanted to go to Jelli's Market, which is basically down the road, in country terms, but they were closed because they needed a day or two to let the berries ripen.  Due to the strange spring we had they lost much of their berries to frost.

After about a 45 min drive, we found Kirschbaum's.(I only stopped once at a Kwik Trip for directions!) 


On our way to the strawberry fields!

Let the picking begin!


Back in the day I would imagine this is how all Moms worked!


It was hot and sunny but well worth it because the strawberries were so sweet!  I believe they taste 100x better then any berries bought in the store.  Sure ours were smaller,  but right off the vine with that hot summer sun, they were oh so good! The girls and I ended up picking 10 lbs of strawberries!  I could have picked more, but I had to remember that I still had to "process" all of the strawberries when I get home!  10 lbs is enough for now!

It worked out wonderfully that after we were done picking the girls wanted to stop at Guy's house. So we did.  And lucky me, my wonderful Mom, helped me wash and hull ALL the berries!  Thanks berry much Mom!!

When we got home I set off to making freezer jam (3  large jars worth), a dozen strawberry muffins (super moist and tasty), strawberry rhubarb sauce (the rhubarb came from my Mom's plant) and I froze 4 full quart size bags.  Everything turned out so good!  I am thrilled!  I wish we had more berries, because I know  that these will not last long!   I know I want to go again next year!  (maybe again this year too!)



Here is the super duper easy recipe for strawberry rhubarb sauce.  You are probably wondering what to do with this sauce!  Oh my!  You eat it - on ice cream or it is absolutely fabulous all by itself...! 

Mom's Strawberry Rhubarb Sauce

1 cup cleaned rhubarb stalks - diced
a little bit of water(rhubarb cooks down to a lot of liquid so you don't need a lot of water)
1 cup Strawberries
1/4 cup Sugar

Put rhubarb and water in a saucepan and cook on low until rhubarb softens.  (15-20 min)  Add strawberries and using a potato masher mash the berries and rhubarb.  Add sugar and cook on low until sugar dissolves.   Eat now or cool and eat later! 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Stitch Fix. I tried it.

Baby Back Ribs - the super easy way!

Hit the road James, Jenny, Jadyn and Jenna!