GOOD FOOD

I found this recipe in the newspaper the other day and thought it sounded pretty tasty.  I even made it on Election Night!  We have determined that this recipe is a keeper.  Keeper recipes have very high standards...not often is a recipe dubbed a keeper without mush tweaking.  I only changed the original recipe to make less, an 8x8 pan instead of 9x13. I don't like leftovers that much.  Our leftovers of this went completely! (and not down the garbage disposer like they usually do)  Even if you were not happy with the election results I think you will like the outcome of this recipe. 

Election Night Pasta with Spicy Tomato and Sausage Sauce
Serves 4-6

1/2 pound hot Italian sausage - I used mild so my kids would be able to eat it.

a couple of fresh mushrooms, chopped (I added these too because I had some to use up)

1/2 onion, finely chopped

3 garlic cloves, minced

1 (26-ounce) jar favorite marinara sauce

 freshly ground black pepper

3-4 tablespoons favorite homemade or store-bought basil pesto

1 pound penne pasta  (I don't know how much to use I cook up a whole box and my kids eat the noodles throughout the week) - use what looks good to you.

3 ounces  baby spinach leaves (2 handfuls)

Shredded mozzarella cheese and parmesan cheese – as much as you like.

1. Heat a large Dutch oven over medium-high heat and add the sausage meat. Cook, breaking up the meat with a spoon as it cooks, for about 5 minutes or until no pinkness remains. Add the onion and saute another 5 minutes or until softened, mixing around to evenly cook the onion. Add the garlic and cook another minute. Add the tomato sauce and shrooms(if using) and simmer on medium heat another 10 minutes, or until the sauce begins to thicken. Add the pesto and pepper, and mix to combine. Taste for seasoning. Reserve.

2. Meanwhile, add salt to large pot of boiling water. Add pasta and cook over high heat until al dente. Drain well.

3. Preheat the oven to 375 F. Oil a 8x8 pan.

4. In a large bowl, combine the pasta with the remaining sauce,  cheese, 1/3 cup Parmesan cheese and spinach leaves, mixing well to combine. Spoon the mixture into the prepared pan and sprinkle the remaining Parmesan cheese on top of the pasta.

5. Bake for about 30 minutes or until the casserole begins to bubble and the cheese is browned

Comments

  1. I love your recipes! They are so my style: few ingredients, not fussy, and easy to make on a weeknight. I however, love leftovers so that I don't have to cook as often. I will be trying this one!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Stitch Fix. I tried it.

Baby Back Ribs - the super easy way!

Hit the road James, Jenny, Jadyn and Jenna!