Southwest Chopped Chicken Salad

Well tonite I attempted yet another recipe I recently pinned from Pinterest.  When my husband heard we were having salad for dinner, he wasn't too impressed. Though once I made it he said "looks nothing like I thought it would" and "looks good!"  It was good.  Lots of ingredients I thought, but the fact that I worked today, went grocery shopping after work (all by myself!!!) and then came home to cook dinner may be reasons why it seemed like a lot of work.  Really it wasn't. Lots of chopping.  I had the chicken already cooked and frozen so that helped out a bit. 
In the end we all like it.  Even the girls.  James even tried it on a soft tortilla and said it made a good filling for a wrap.  It turned out to be a nice meal for a hot summer day




Southwest Chopped Chicken Salad
adapted from :Laurenslatest

Ingredients:
2 cups diced chicken
1 red pepper, diced
1 can black beans, drained and rinsed
1 can sweet yellow corn
2 roma tomatoes, diced
4 green onions, sliced
1 head of iceberg lettuce
1/2 bunch cilantro, washed and chopped  (I only had dried on hand)
1 avocado, diced.
1 cup crushed tortilla chips

for the dressing-

1/2 cup lowfat mayo
1/2 cup  lowfat sour cream
1/2 plain lowfat yogurt
1 tablespoon ranch seasoning
1 tablespoon taco seasoning
Lime juice - to your liking...I used enough to thin out the dressing a bit.
Directions:

In a large bowl, stir all salad ingredients together, excluding the tortilla chips. In a small bowl, stir all dressing ingredients together until smooth. Add 1/2 of dressing into salad and mix until completely dressed. Add more until it reaches your desired amount of dressing.  Refrigerate until ready to serve.  Top with tortilla chips. 






Comments

  1. I was just thinking about this weeks meals and was thinking about some sort of cold salad. This might be the ticket! Thanks! We also have tortillas which will change it up a bit for leftovers.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think I have this pinned too...might have to try it out soon!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Stitch Fix. I tried it.

Baby Back Ribs - the super easy way!

Hit the road James, Jenny, Jadyn and Jenna!