I am so excited and I just can't hide it...

OK, I am not THAT excited but I had wanted to try something last year and I waited too long, all the available spots were taken - but not this year!  I am sending my $$ in tomorrow!

What is it you say?

A CSA (Community Sponsored Agriculture) of course!  Duh!

Yes, the hippie freak in me wanted to do this last year, but they fill up fast and the one that worked best for me was full.

What is a CSA you ask?   Visit this site for finding out info on CSAs, farmers markets and much more.  http://www.localharvest.org  or read below (from localharvest.org)

For over 25 years, Community Supported Agriculture (CSA) has become a popular way for consumers to buy local, seasonal food directly from a farmer.

Here are the basics: a farmer offers a certain number of "shares" to the public. Typically the share consists of a box of vegetables, but other farm products may be included. Interested consumers purchase a share (aka a "membership" or a "subscription") and in return receive a box (bag, basket) of seasonal produce each week throughout the farming season.

This arrangement creates several rewards for both the farmer and the consumer. In brief...

Advantages for farmers:
Get to spend time marketing the food early in the year, before their 16 hour days in the field begin,
receive payment early in the season, which helps with the farm's cash flow and have an opportunity to get to know the people who eat the food they grow.

Advantages for consumers:
Eat ultra-fresh food, with all the flavor and vitamin benefits, get exposed to new vegetables and new ways of cooking, usually get to visit the farm at least once a season,find that kids typically favor food from "their" farm – even veggies they've never been known to eat and develop a relationship with the farmer who grows their food and learn more about how food is grown

It's a simple enough idea, but its impact has been profound. Tens of thousands of families have joined CSAs, and in some areas of the country there is more demand than there are CSA farms to fill it. The government does not track CSAs, so there is no official count of how many CSAs there are in the U.S.. LocalHarvest has the most comprehensive directory of CSA farms, with over 4,000 listed in our grassroots database.


So, if you are still reading this....I chose a farm located in Ashippun, WI.  BrynTeg Farm  I will pick up my summer share every 2 weeks at a spot in Oconomowoc.  You do have many options to choose from, but I did not think we could really get through that many veggies in a week... every 2 weeks maybe, plus it does get a little pricey.   I know a few who have done this and really enjoyed it.  New foods that I would never have tried before I am going to be forced to use and hopefully find a few new favorites.  Obviously, as with any gardening, it is totally dependent of weather and other gardening issues.  I am looking forward to it and hope to tell you all about it when this weather is ever warm enough to grow anything! 

Wish me and all of the Wisconsin farmers a great growing season!

Comments

  1. I had wanted to try this too but I'm not sure if two of us would ever eat everything. I should share my share with another couple! My work department is taking a field trip to Growing Power. They offer the same type of program and are in the city of Milwaukee. I'm excited to see their set up.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A lady here at work does Growing Power now, thru her husbands work. I think thats what it calls. The stuff she gets now is not all local (the pineapple of course was not) but she likes it. You can share your share with someone or get a 1/2 share like I am. Check out that localharvest.com and find some locations that work for you and see what they offer.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Stitch Fix. I tried it.

Baby Back Ribs - the super easy way!

Hit the road James, Jenny, Jadyn and Jenna!