Chicken Taco Soup (in the SlowCooker)

I got this recipe from a work email regarding women's heart health.  It called for a bunch of low sodium foods, which I only found 1 of.  But I made it anyways, and boy was it tasty, easy and it made tons!(my slow cooker was full to the brim) The leftovers were excellent, and I don't usually like leftovers all that much.

Slow Cooker Chicken Taco Soup Recipe

 
Chicken Taco Soup
1 med onion, chopped
2 15oz cans of chili beans in sauce
2 15oz cans of black beans, drained and rinsed.
16 oz bag of frozen corn
16 oz tomato sauce
2 10oz can diced tomatoes with mild green chilies
12oz low sodium chicken broth
2-3 Tbsp homemade taco seasoning (or use the store bought pkgs)
3 boneless chicken breasts

Optional ingredients:  Shredded Mexican cheese, sour cream, Jalapenos, lime juice, baked tortilla chips

In a slow cooker add the first 8 ingredients,.  Place chicken breasts on top and cover with lid and cook on low for at least 7 hours (I cooked mine for over 8 because I was at work and because the chicken was frozen)
Take out chicken and shred and put back into slow cooker. Stir well.  Serve with above optional ingredients. 

Makes 12 (1 1/2 cup) servings. 

I do occasionally purchase the low sodium taco seasoning packets, but since I was making a trip to Penzeys to pick up some other spices, I made sure I had everything I needed for the homemade seasoning.

Homemade Taco Seasoning
2 T chili powder
1 t paprika
1/2 t garlic powder
3 t cumin
1/2 t onion powder
1 t sea salt
1/4 t cayenne pepper
1/2 t black pepper
1/2 t oregano

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Stitch Fix. I tried it.

Hit the road James, Jenny, Jadyn and Jenna!

Baby Back Ribs - the super easy way!